In this application, a compound consisting of differently sized particles, colour pigments and resin is fed, in a uniform layer, across the whole width of the lower of the two steel belts. The thickness of the product is then calibrated between the upper and lower steel belts, while side retainers are used to define the width of the sheet.
From here, the product proceeds through controlled polymerization, curing and cooling stages before reaching downstream longitudinal and transverse cutters which are used to cut the material to the desired size.
IPCO steel belt-based systems for sheet casting are used for products such as:
- Artificial stone based on acrylic or polyester resin
- Mineral sheets based on epoxy resin or PET
- Thermoplastic sheets
The IPCO double belt press system offers a number of major process benefits compared with single belt systems for this growing application:
- Symmetric conditions (processing from both sides)
- Precise thickness calibration
- Simple variation of product width